Introducing Our Matsuura MX-850 5-Axis Vertical Machining Center
Facilitating key manufacturing solutions for over 85 years, the Japanese manufacturing company Matsuura is an extremely well-regarded and established OEM that produces many highly regarded machines. And the MX-850 is no exception—it’s an awesome piece of equipment that will enable us to machine the most complex parts with the tightest tolerances.
What Is 5-Axis Machining?
If you aren’t familiar with 5-axis machining apart, here’s a quick recap on what sets it apart from 3- or 4-axis machining.
3-axis machining centers rotate cutting tools along the X, Y, and Z axes to remove material from a workpiece that remains fixed in place. 4-axis machining introduces one additional axis of movement around the X axis (known as the A axis). The workpiece itself also rotates in 4-axis machining, which allows for both milling and turning capabilities.
5-axis machining builds on these capabilities, adding another rotational axis that gives the cutting tools access to the workpiece from any direction with a single setup.
5-axis machining is versatile enough to achieve intricate features at a much faster rate than 3 or 4-axis machining.
The MX-850 is the perfect piece of equipment for machining aerospace, automotive, and medical parts that require an extreme degree of precision and accuracy. Here’s what our MX-850 has to offer:
- Tight tolerances. The MX-850 holds tolerances up to .0026mm .0001″, which is more precise than the average 5-axis CNC machine.
- Thermally controlled components. Because the coolant and spindle in the machine are temperature regulated, the MX-850 can achieve very tight tolerances without overheating.
- Large format. With a maximum work envelope of Ø760mm × H450mm and a working surface of Ø500, our newest machine is built to work on large, bulky parts up to 750mm by 750mm.
- Exceptional speed. High spindle speeds of 12,000 RPM allow us to machine faster, meaning our clients get parts in their hands as quickly as possible.
- Fully integrated with current programming. The MX-850 can easily interface with our current ERP, which makes for a seamless transition when training our staff.
Once it’s up and running, we plan to outfit the MX-850 with automation capabilities to become part of our lights out machining fleet for production manufacturing.
Want to be one of the first to run your prototype model on our new machine? Request a quote today to get started!